你 好 : Dec. 12, 2012



你 好
( Ni Hao or Hello) 
Hi everyone! I just wanted to give an update on our lives and put a few more pictures up.

I have been so thankful to grow so much in my faith here. I get to go to two bible studies here as well as Youth Group which I get to hear speakers and discuss the Word. Then on Sunday, I get to again be in the Word. Plus, I live with a community of believers who encourage, share and pray with me. However with all that, I have had the hardest time being content. I don't understand it for it has been a dream to live over seas and share God. However, so many comforts are gone yet some still remain.
I get to eat better than Phil and I did back in the states as college students. I get to take hot showers. I get a beautiful room with a bed, bookshelf, and wardrobe. I can find comfort snacks if i'm willing to pay a little. I can get an hour massage for 35 yuan which is a little over $5. I can sleep in often. I have family here to enjoy. I have mountains I can go climb. I get to travel to so many different countries and places.... Yet, satan whispers in my ears that I could have better and that I am missing out on so much. It's amazing how human nature just desires all that we can't have. I am so thankful Phil supports and encourages me through the emotional roller coaster days I go through. I don't think I could do it alone like I once thought. I keep telling myself it's because i'm not around all my basic comforts like animals, nature, space, books, etc. But I often wonder if I can't be content here how can I be content anywhere else. God tells us to be content no matter the circumstance.

Please pray for Phil and I to be content and focus and take joy in what God has for us here right now.

I want to be able to joyfully say: "I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.  I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.  I can do all this through him who gives me strength." 
Philippians 4:11-13

I also need prayer in not looking into the future, desiring and planning too obsessively. I'm guilty of spending way way too much time on Pinterest planning out my future home, my future clothes, the food I will cook, the projects I will do, the children I will have one day, etc. None of those are guaranteed yet I have been putting my dreams and thoughts in them instead of being open to what God might have for me. 
I am here in China so I need to be here mentally and spiritually as well. 
I think there can be a beautiful balance between future desires and the joys of wondering but I think there can be a line you can cross of un-contentment and obsession 
and I think I've crossed that a few times. 
So I want to ask for prayer in my desire for God's plans and not my own and to put my future plans in the mindset of contributing more to the kingdom rather than my own selfish pleasures. 

I also wanted to share this awesome message I heard:

At the Youth Group I volunteer at one of my friends spoke about the Cost of Following Christ. 
I'll type my notes below:

The Cost of Following Christ
“If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple.  And whoever does not carry their cross and follow me cannot be my disciple. “Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Won’t you first sit down and estimate the cost to see if you have enough money to complete it?  For if you lay the foundation and are not able to finish it, everyone who sees it will ridicule you,  saying, ‘This person began to build and wasn’t able to finish.’ “Or suppose a king is about to go to war against another king. Won’t he first sit down and consider whether he is able with ten thousand men to oppose the one coming against him with twenty thousand?  If he is not able, he will send a delegation while the other is still a long way off and will ask for terms of peace.  In the same way, those of you who do not give up everything you have cannot be my disciples.
Luke 14:26-33 

*For those who just skimmed over that: It basically says to you have to renounce everything to follow Christ. Your love for Christ has to been so much more that it appears as if you hate all things in comparison.
Something that struck out to me was it's bold statement, Do not began to follow until you have count the cost of following Christ. It is not a simple journey. There is a big sacrifice. 

1. What are we weighing?
Do we think more about the cost of following or the gain we will receive?
Often we tend to think of all the loss; all the things we have to give up to follow. However, He wants us to take joy in the gifts and gain of following Him. When we buy something we have wanted for a long time, we often don't think anything about handing over that money for it. We just want that item. Like that desired item that we have been wanting and trying to find, we should hand over the cost and be excited for what we are gaining!

2. All of us need what Christ is giving.
It is our salvation. It is what we are made for. Why do you think this world doesn't make sense? Why do you think you can't explain the desire for help or someone to call out to? It's because God made us not of this world. He made us to need Him and fall in love with Him and His treasures for us.

3. Christ's promises are Alway True!
Jesus has never not fulfilled a promise. Not in the bible, not in my life. If we really believe that, why don't we trust Him on this aspect of our lives. We hold on to comforts just like a child holds tight to a blanky. We are afraid of what could happen. When we have little to risk then we can risk it but when it's a lot it's harder to give it over to God. Trust Him & Walk with Him.

4. What Christ is giving us:
Matt 19:28 - 100 fold & eternal life
Gal 4:7 - Makes us a Child and Heir of the Kingdom
Eph 1:7 - Forgiveness & allows us to Forgive ourselves and others. 
Romans 6:22 -  Freedom from sin and our past & future mistakes
Luke 12:32 - Treasure that cannot be distroyed. 
Eph 2:5 - Made us Alive & Saves
John 16:33 - Deep seeded Peace 

5. What we give Him:
Eph 28 - Faith
John 14:1 - Belief & Trust
Isaiah 53: 6 -  Our Sin
Luke 18: 18- 33 - Our Idols that make us slaves

Simple Ask God to take control of your life for you.
"Oh Lord, I give you my life to you."
Psalms 25:1

It really struck me when I heard my love and devotion to Christ must look like I dislike everything else in comparison. That means I must joyfully give up living in my own country as He as called Phil and I to do. That means I must give up comforts like nature and my pets for a time as He has called us to do. That means I have to be aways from my mom & dad, and the rest of my loved ones because of my love and commitment to Christ.

"Nothing is considered loss in comparison to God." - Philippians 3: 7-8
"If we desire the world more than we desire God then we are enemies of God" - James 4:4
"Denying God or not proclaiming how you love Him, He will deny you." - Luke 12: 8-9

I think those passages are pretty powerful and convicting. Like being enemies of God if we want to be comfortable in the world more than following Him. Also, Denying Him not only in our words but especially in our actions that He will deny you. If you don't live your life that shows you are His but know Him is a scary things.
He tell us,


 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.  Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’  (That goes the same for those who say they were christians and were nice to people but never built a real relationship with God & never really seeked Him above all else.) Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’
Matthew 7:21-23



Haha.. sorry for the seriousness of it all but it is some serious stuff that we often over look. I just wanted to share some of my struggles and ask for prayer as well as share some important things in my life.  Thank you for reading my message. It really means a lot to me and is important for me to share.

So... Finally what ya'll have been waiting for ... Pictures!
Enjoy!

Everyone saying hello!! 

Me 

My handsome man! 

We used those pictures for our flyers we handed out for tutoring/ teaching jobs. We'll Phil had a different picture but I really like that one because he was laughing.
On the bus... 




Phil 

Cade & Lily

We had a Masquerade Ball as a fund raiser for the Youth Group




Do you recognize Phil and I? 
Linds & Josh?
A normal dinner night for us. 
Being an only child did not prepare me for big family dinners. haha. 
The woman in blue is actually Xiang Xiang's Mom. Her little sister in in her mom's lap. 
I feel I have been lacking so much on updates with Xiang Xiang. She had been staying with us on the weekends since Phil and I came in August. It has been such a joy having her however you could see the effects of not being with her mom for months on in and living at school. (I found out that her two roommates at school are 13 years old!  Xiang Xiang is only 6! ) Just a few weeks ago we were able to finally meet her mom and little sister. However, it was a joy to reunite them we discovered some major needs. We knew already that Xiang Xiang's father died last year & her two year old sister was having major heart surgery & that they were believers. However, we had no idea that her mother has only one arm, a bad leg, no job because of the extended stay in the hospital with her child, no money, no place to live, very un-educated, and has no one to turn too. It was such a shock to ask where she lives to hear her say she doesn't have any place to live yet. So thankfully we have an open apartment for the time being that we can let them stay in until we help her get on her feet. If you feel moved to help, donations are welcome. You can email me at e.daniellestoffel@gmail.com. God is a provider so we have complete faith in His provisions. He command to take care of orphans and widows and here one is placed in our lives and is in our hands to help.
Please pray for them and that Xiang Xiang's mother has strength. There are not ways to get help like there are in America. So they have to put there trust that some one will step up and help them.
Also, please pray for Josh & Linds! They do amazing work here I can't even explain all that I have watched and learned. They not only support Phil and I but also support other local people who have need, and now Xiang Xiang's family. So again if you'd like to contribute a little ($5, $10, $20.. etc) let me know. A little goes a long way here.




Phil and Josh's new obsession! Darts!! It's now in the living room and is a must pass time every night. 
They even have a notebook where they have all their wins/losses written down! 
Those Boys! 



Linds and I are on a fun detox... kinda.
We're trying to eat healthier for two weeks.
We started with Mystery Green Juice!
I feel so bless to have a sister to do things with!

Looks Yummy huh?
It actually was pretty good. We perfected our juices & smoothies by the end of the week.
All the kids at the table.. craft time?
 Lily's Birthday Time!! 








Birthday dinner! 
Yummy Spaghetti!
Josh's Famous Brownies!

Foot soaking time!! 
Nail painting time! 


And to end it .. Obs and me!!

I love watching that sweet little girl grow. I got to be the first to meet her at the hospital and the second to hold her. I got to watch her first steps, her first soda, her first taste of different foods, and hearing her first words. What a blessing!




Thank you for reading and following! :)





Comments

Popular Posts