My (Phil's) Graduation Party

Graduation from college! 

Well, as many of you know, when Danielle and I came to China it worked out nicely that my college was all online- I had transferred to online classes when I decided I was going to move to Georgia in 2010 and I finished up this past December.  Danielle and I ended up graduating with nearly identical GPA's and honors (although I'm still not sure how that happened for myself!)  It was probably my busiest semester of online classes and I felt like I spent hours upon hours at the computer.  I pray to God that it was and will all be worth it in the future- not necessarily salary wise, but where God could use our degrees to take Danielle and I.  I couldn't have ever done any of this without my wonderful wife Danielle, who was always cheering me on especially when I complained of having to take a statistics course during my last semester here in China!  Danielle always made sure I had the right computer charger that worked best when I was doing classes and she always had tons of patience for me.  I also couldn't have done this without my parents, Rick and Rae, who have always been there to help in every single way and have encouraged me to do my best and never pressured me about anything.  Thanks so much Mom and Dad!  I also want to thank Todd and Suzann (Danielle's parents) who helped me transition into life in Georgia when I moved down there and who have been so great to me.  I am extremely appreciative for all the support you both have given me through the past three and a half years!  My sisters, their husbands, family and friends, you are all a blessing.  Also, I'll never forget my year and a half at the University of Wisconsin Stevens Point rooming with my best man, Lee Rickert.  I've certainly had some of my best memories there with you buddy!

Anyways, after I had finished my classes, Josh and Lindsey planned on taking Danielle and I out to eat to celebrate and I was definitely expecting a pretty low key event and Josh said he first wanted to take me out to lunch after Church one Sunday.  After Church, I got on the back of the bike with Josh and we drove all around.  He told me he was taking me to a new special restaurant that had just opened.  We were weaving in and out of traffic going down all these different roads and I certainly believed we were going somewhere I hadn't been.  About ten minutes into the ride, my sister Lindsey called Josh to say that she had left Olivet's nook in Josh's jacket.  Josh asked if we could quick drop it off before we ate and I had no problems with it what so ever, so we headed home.  When we got to the door I opened it up to see many friends and family here in China yelling "surprise!"  I definitely was shocked and had no idea that I was going to have a party. It ended up being a really special time and I was super grateful to Danielle, Lindsey, Josh, all of the kids, and everyone else who put so much time and effort into this.  They had ordered pizza, which is rare and awesome here, and we all ate and enjoyed a few hours together.
I was definitely surprised and a bit unprepared for this ordeal!
There were probably thirty people in the apartment!


Notice the dartboard in the background- that's where Josh and I spend a good amount of our time!


I had a "Happy Sheep" themed party.  For those of you who don't know- Happy Sheep is a cartoon that is marketed everywhere in China and I cannot stand it.  It literally drives me up the wall.  It was pretty funny that there were these annoying Happy Sheep everywhere.  It gave me a good laugh.  
I think we had fifteen pizza's or so!
Lots of little one's who had to sit on the floor.  We've all been there, your time will come soon enough!
Plenty of western snacks!


Everyone hanging out.  


Olivet has gotten so big since we have arrived.  We have seen her take her first steps and now we are watching her grow up before our eyes.  She runs around everywhere now and she is starting to say many words! 

She's a big eater- well, not as big as me, or Vivi.  


Danielle and her good friends over here!

I'm thankful none of the American children have to suffer from this nonsense!   

Well, all the fun wasn't over.  I reluctantly wore a cape and extra small Chinese police hat- it was my graduation outfit!  They played the graduation song for me and Josh even made me a pretty good look a like degree.  It was fun and goofy, but it really was special all of the effort everyone put into celebrating my graduation.    

Josh and my (fake) degree!  I really appreciate being able to spend time with my brother in law Josh over here.  He is as competitive as myself, super passionate, and very caring.  He really has made me feel at home here and one of the things I will miss most is all of the great times that I've had with Josh over here.  It certainly has been an adventure! 

Olivet, a little over twenty years to go for your degree little one! 



Comments

Popular Posts