Thailand: Riding Boats & Elephants

Riding Boats & Elephants 
January 2013 


Hi Everyone,
We flew the 1 hour 1/2 flight back today but already miss Thailand and all of our new friends. We were so blessed to meet so many amazing people. I'll have our friends, Rachel & Caleb 's wedding photos up soon on another post. We ended up having so much fun with them through out our 9 days there. I can't believe it is already over. What an adventure! 
We'll what I have for everyone here is pictures mostly of our Boat & Elephant ride with a few other photos. We ended up riding a handful of other things while we were there too. 
We stayed in Chiang Rai for 5 nights and Chiang Mai  for 4 nights! 
All the pictures below are of our second day in Chiang Rai. 

Chiang Rai's Night Bazar  
So many foreigners!! Apparently northern Thailand is a hot spot for foreigners to live. It was happening with music, food, shopping, and performances. So much fun. 
The best Mexican in Chiang Rai!! Yumm I ate two burritos!! Who wants Thai food when you already live in Asia?!
Our Group Ordering!

Mexican!!

Elephant & Boat Rides

Taking a boat to the Karen Christian Village to ride Elephants 

Our Boat driver was a sweet looking man but he didn't talk. My head band fell of and landed in the back of the boat. He and I hand-signaled about getting it then came to the conclusion that I would get it when we stop. Haha.
Phil even tried to buy him a soda when we were there and he smiled and shook his hands and head implying no. 



Our Elephant Driver: Nice guy but yet again.. not much of a talker. 
My Babes
Beautiful View! Phil and I fell in love with the mountains. 
Just hanging out. 

Our driver just jumped off the side and asked for my camera to take our picture. Phil and I weren't sure what was going on but hey it worked out. haha 

He then proceeds to tell me to climb down to its head and ride it myself. Our sweet girl starts walking away while the guy is figuring out my camera. I think Phil and I were a little unsure at that point. I felt I could drive it if only I knew how. 

It was so much fun feeding her. 

Something I couldn't get over was how much this elephant reminded me of my horse, Chloe. Especially the way her bottom lip just hangs out and her reactions to motorcycles and strange noises. 


She was spoiled getting treats the whole time. We even bought her more. 
Me 
I had so much fun. I got to ride on her head for a good 30 mins. 


Into the river we go. 
Her butt and our shadow
She seemed to love splashing her trunk in the water


Phil's turn to drive



Like my horse Cloe', the elephant immanently searches for the source of any motors or loud noise. While Phil was driving there was a motorcycle coming up on us our elephant turns quickly around and ends up colliding into a metal roof. We (including the elephant) jumps! haha. She wasn't hurt at all. The seat I was on hit the metal and chipped off a few pieces.  I have to say I was impressed with her behavior and composure. 


If you closely you can see a giant snake. Locally caught?



Elephant Camp 100 meters 


More food please!!!
(If you look below, you can see the corn I tried to give her. It ended up getting stomped on. )


Thats one long nose! 




It was so cool to see how the picked up food. 


That's one big boy!! The man beside it walking with the hat was our boat driver. Funny man huh?
Other people walking along the river. 

Another long boat ride back! Definitely worth it. 

Fantastic looking random rock formations and mountains. 
Cows sunbathing along the river.

Away we go on another adventure... Let the Praise and Glory be to God.

We'll we have many more photo and stories for you guys! I hope to have more blog post up soon about our trip in Thailand.

Comments

Popular Posts