Day 22



Day 22: 

I woke up to a hard morning. I don't know why but of course it happens every now and then when you just don't feel quite right. Phil is awesome and lets me be. I am so thankful for an understanding and loving man. I even had a moment of tears just needing a tiny melt down over life. haha. It sounds so silly now but in the moment it's what you need: a room to yourself, some good music, and a melt down moment. 
After those moments, Phil reminded me who God was and what beautiful purposes and promises He has for us. At the time, I felt so unsatisfied with where we were. I didn't feel like I was working towards anything or had much purpose here at the moment. I can't speak the lango, don't know of many places to go, don't have many friends, finished the book I just read and can't find a new one to read (bibliophils would understand), haven't started my teaching job just yet, only tutored once, etc... etc.. I could go on and on. 
But like I said, I was reminded that everyday was planned out by the maker and designer of the universe. Not a moment is wasted. I realized I could alway be in prayer for someone, reading scripture more, just being here give Linds and Josh family and extra hands to help with the kids. There is also so much more. 
God heard my prayer for a feeling of purpose and how awesome is He to deliver me a gift of one only two hours later. 
In self-pity, I didn't feel much like tutoring today but thankfully I did because it was just what I needed and had been asking for. 

This afternoon, I got to tutor for the second time with a 16 year old girl named Wendy. We meet once a week usually on Saturday. It was soo much fun! I feel like we are friends. My first Asian friend! (We'll kinda. It feels like it even though she is paying me.) I am the first foreigner she has ever met. So I'm hoping to make a good impression. ;) It is such a blessing for Phil and I because I make a little over $15/ hour tutoring. 
Wendy and I spend the majority of time trying to communicate with each other but that is what makes it fun. She and I will laugh a good bit because I will go in a ten minute rant trying to explain only one part of my sentence before I can get my point across. What has helped is she reads english better than hearing it so sometimes writing the words down works.  
Today was the first time that we met in a coffee shop that near my apartment. (Our first tutoring session was at our the apartment and it was more of an intro.) Immediately, when we sat down the waitress stood over me wanting me to order. I opened up the menu and was in a complete loss. I tried to get the girl I am tutoring, Wendy to help me but not understanding want I wanted she insisted I order for both of us. "Oh Great!" I thought. I opened the menu and ask for "Cha" (tea). They pointed to like 3 pages and repeated after me "Cha". After what felt like 5 minutes, I decided I'd get the cheapest thing I could find, point and say "Wo yao jigga." (I want this!).  After that ordeal was over, and the waitress left us to our corner. We began our lesson. Going over her homework and pronunciations, I still had in the back of my mind a worry and curiosity over what in the world I just ordered. However to my surprise, I ordered some AWESOME tea! It had fresh oranges mixed in the clear see-through pot with the tea bag. I had nothing like it before but love it. Thankfully so did Wendy, the girl I tutor. By the end of our two hours that seem to just fly by, we had drank it all. I even desired a little more but didn't dare to go down that road of ordering again. So that really topped the afternoon off for me. I felt like it was a success. Wendy and I got through her homework and oral English practice within an hour or so. Then the last hour we both took out our cameras and phones and shared pictures of friends and places we've visited. I showed her all the pictures I had taken of the city and stay here as well as the lake we just visited and she showed me picture of her friends, her room and things she likes. It was a fun time sharing the english name for objects and asking questions. I think she learns a lot when it doesn't feel like we were actually tutoring but more like friends hanging out. 
Like I said before, I really enjoy being able to tutor her. 

I was refreshed and renewed after that! 

To end the day:  I helped make dinner, played with the kids, played a game of doodle dice with Phil, Josh, and Linds (which Phil proudly won), and Phil and I went on a foot massage date. 
An hour foot/back massage was 30 yuan/ person. 
For both of us it equalled 60 yuan  = under $10 dollars
It was awesome and well needed! Phil and I had fun not only getting a massage but trying to talk with the guys. We had a translation book and a few notes that got us by. 

God delivers and loves to delight with His children. 
How thankful I  serve a real, forgiving, and loving God.

Phil sitting soaking his feet!

The bucket!! but We had to say "tie ruh" = too Hot! a few times before
we were able to put our feet in! 

We used our travel dictionary and tried talking to our massage people.
It worked for the most park! They had a lot of fun
trying to communicate with us as well. 

Comments

Popular Posts